Tuesday, August 26, 2008

who's caroline Kennedy?

My daughter said she watch the convention with me when something good was happening. Around 9:30 i excitedly called out- come now Caroline is going to introduce her uncle. Caroline who was her response. I was floored. I probably know more about the Kennedy's than I know my own family. Just saying her name brought back a rush of images; her hiding under the desk, standing at the funeral, John-John, Jackie, all the glamour and scandal and tragedy. It is all seared into my brain so much I never thought about not knowing it. Just seeing the set of her jaw- the same Kennedy face we've been watching for generations brought a rush of emotion and hen Teddy spoke- the voice alone brought tears to my eyes.

But to my 19 year old daughter- nothing. No emotional connection to this family, no real interest who who they are , or were. Are we the last generation to have this collective Kennedy memory?

No comments: